Monday, October 11, 2010

Inauguration of Bombe Mane 2010

Dr. C.R. Dileep Kumar explaining about the dolls displayed to Maharajakumari Kamakshi Devi yavaru  and Prince Atmanya Dev Ji.

Atmanya Dev Ji enamoured with the miniature Palace Gate. L-R: Smt. Harinita Singh, Maharajakumari Kamakshi Deviyavaru, Prince Atmanya Dev Ji, Sri D. Ram Singh, Chairman, RKP, Sri Anantaraja Urs, Sri Raghu Dharmendra

Prince Atmanya Dev Ji and Maharajakumari Kamakshi Deviyavaru appreciating the doll of Royal Cow.

Sri R.G. Singh (far right), Secretary, RKP, explaining the scroll painting of 1825 dasara procession of Mummadi (collection: Victoria and Albert Museum) to the royal couple.

Sri R.G. Singh explaining the diorama of Sirsi Marikamba temple to the royal couple.

Maharajakumari Kamakshi Deviyavaru inaugurating the 'Bombe Mane' exhibition by lighting the lamp.

Sri D. Ram Singh and Smt. R. Kaladevi with royal couple witnessing the doll dasara procession.
Sri D. Ram Singh presenting the memento to Maharajakumari. 

Sri M.B. Singh, Executive Trustee, RKP, felicitating Prince Atmanya Dev Ji Jhala of Wadhwan

Royal couple with Sri Murugesh, artist who created the 12 feet wide model of Palace.

Royal couple with artist Srikanth Sharma who created the diorama of Sirsi Marikamba.

Royal couple with artist Sri A.M. Swamy who painted five canvases of five kings.

Sri D. Ram Singh and Sri Ajay Kumar Singh, Trustee, RKP thanking royal couple for gracing the occasion.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Special display of Bombe Mane 2010

The special display at this Bombe Mane is a hall of fame of dolls. This hall of fame pays tribute to five great rulers of Mysore who immortalised Dasara in the annals of Mysore's history beginning Raja Wodeyar who began the tradition (of Mysore Dasara on the lines of celebrations at Vijayanagara) four centuries ago and the last four rulers who made the celebrations known across India and the world.

Since then, every successor to the throne has followed this annual tradition except a couple of years during the reign of Tipu Sultan. A scroll painting in company style in the collection of Victoria and Albert Museum, UK, is a magnificent visual record of the Dasara celebrated during the reign of Krishnaraja Wodeyar III. With the advent of photography, the Dasara celebrations of Chamaraja Wodeyar X have been vividly captured in sepia tones. Raja Rishi Maharaja  Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV (Nalwadi) gave a whole new impetus to the annual pageantry which had reduced from martial show of strength to a symbolic ritual. Dasara became synonymous with Mysore. 

Panorama of the special display at Bombe Mane
Ramsons Kala Pratishtana pays tribute to the enlightened rulers of Mysore by recreating, in part, of the famed Mysore Dasara of 1939 during the reign of Nalwadi.

Sannidhi of Sirsi Marikamba depicted at Bombe Mane
Also on display is a replica, in part, of the famed Marikamba temple at Sirsi in North Canara. The unique Kavi art of the Konkan region forms the backdrop of the deity and the buffalo (Pattada Kona). According to one legend, the buffalo is considered to be Marikamba's spouse and is reared in the temple with special care. It is taken around the town in a procession a week ahead of the bi-annual temple fair. Devotees are known to feed the buffalo with rice, jaggery and coconuts.

Entrance door of Sirsi Marikamba temple decorated with Kavi art

Kavi art is a style of creating designs and frescos on walls with red dye which is prepared using red ochre, sea shrimps, crystal, fermented jaggery and lime. The mixture produces the characteristic dark-maroon colour.

Scene depicting Dasara procession of 1939